Author Topic: A Different Perspective #4  (Read 807 times)

Offline Jon Harder

• Jon Harder's Facebook Fan Page
A Different Perspective #4
« on: February 26, 2010, 12:34:08 AM »
When I pick up ACE DVDs, I do it to study my commentary. I go to see where I make my mistakes, what I did right, what I did wrong. Basically, it's a work in progress. It's what I do.

I've learned enough so where I can pick myself apart. Where I should have chimed in to one of Fallon's remarks, what I should've said, how much I talk too fast. I guess you can say I hate my own work. In other words, I strive to give the wrestlers an opportunity to make their match feel as if it's the main event, and my standards are so high, I tend to disappoint myself when I make a flub and in my mind, "ruin the match". Nonetheless, the wrestlers, staff and fans seem to like what I'm trying to do. And if they think it's good, I guess I can see it. But mainly, it's just yessing them to death so I can see it what it's worth and learn from it.

But then are those matches where everything clicks. The perfect match, the right commentary, the right reaction from the crowd. Basically, it's a perfect DVD match. It's a match where you'd actually buy the event for. Three matches immediately come to mind...

Mo Sexton vs Ricky Reyes - Rise II Power 2009

Yes, I absolutely love this match. The style is different. Mo and Reyes had a weird chemistry that night, where it was awesome to watch and call. Seeing it on DVD, Ricky Reyes has really stepped out of his shell from being a tag team wrestler to a hard hitting singles competitor, as well as Mo being his stereotypical "Workhorse" self. Plus, me and Fallon were rattling off each other, as well as it being the debut of the ODE on ACE commentary to Ricky Reyes. One day I'll reprint them onto the PC. Anyways, just an awesome match.

Chris Rockwell, Sam Sational and Envy vs BS Express and Frightmare - ACE Collision Course, September 19, 2009

For me, this was one of the best six man tags I've seen in a LONG TIME. Three of ACE's veterans in Rockwell, Sam and Envy against the up and comers of Ed and Tom of the BS Express and Frightmare was just awesome to see. From Ed's discus lariat to all of the double teams and fast paced action, this just worked. Fallon really kept me going in this contest and it came off well. Plus, this match kickstarted the tag team series between the Midnight Sensations and R8D X. I loved this contest and something I believe didn't get as much attention as it should have this year when it came down to tag team matches.

Bruno Marciano vs Josh Daniels - ACE Redemption 2010

I know it's only February 2010, but this might be the best pure wrestling match of the year. Fallon and myself said it best...the patience of Josh Daniels against the intensity of Bruno Marciano made for such a beautiful match. The crowd was in love with it and it made the difference. Maricano's intensity made for quite the intangiable for this battle, as it is Bruno's strength and weakness. Worth the price for the DVD, folks.

These three matches, in my opinion, just had the perfect feeling to it when I watched it back. Seeing it truly made me actually like myself on commentary. But more importantly, if it wasn't for every wrestler in the ACE locker room, especially the guys in those contests, I wouldn't be able to do this column and tell you how, so thank you to them.

Hmmm...I can't wait for April 3rd now.

Go buy every ACE DVD at http://www.aceprowrestling.com

Jon Harder

Offline Michael

• NWA NJ
Re: A Different Perspective #4
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 12:15:10 PM »
I too thought that Daniels vs Marciano was one of the best technical matches in ACE as well as one of the more hard hitting ones.  Daniels can be a serious threat to both ACE singles titles if given the opportunities.